My story is nothing special but I know that it will help someone out there to get through depression or help someone understand a little more on what its like to live with such an illness.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 2011

So we've made the move to Toowoomba, been here 2 weeks and 1 day. Well, to be exact, we're living in Meringandan which is NW of 'woomba and has a pub (which is brilliant of course!), a butcher and a real estate agent lol. The school now has 192 students thanks to Kasey and Amy.
All the usual things have happened - the girls started school and have settled in really well, Naths applied for a stack of jobs and got 2 and has now decided on which one he will take - Oakey Abattoir which is about 20min from here, employs 800 odd people and supplies the japanese market and also Coles supermarkets.
We've bought a Navman, now officially named 'Deidre'. Thank goodness we have Deirdre, Toowoomba is friggin' huge!! It has 3 main hwys running through it and a stack of 'main streets', not like Nowra which has 1!!
Living with so many people has its moments but is mostly good. Getting the kids ready in the morning is hectic - Katherine (my sister inlaw) and I have a 'production line' system, its quite funny to watch...actually, anything to do with the kids needs a production line process. The kids get along really well - except for this very minute.....they are playing hide n seek and Amy is getting a little whingey!!

As for me, Im doing ok really. I have all the skills I need to cope because of what R has taught me. I came here knowing that it would sink in at around the 2-3wk mark that this would be home and that I wouldn't be heading back (nowra) home anytime soon, that this would NOT be a holiday. So yesturday was a ripper of a crap day!!
All the typical depression symptoms had gradually built over a few days - the anxiety mostly but also the motivation. The need for my own space, my own home, my own bed, my own time to do stuff.....atleast I have my own undies :)

But yesturday really sucked, I wasn't talkative, unmotivated, tired, drained, I just wanted to curl up and not deal with life for the day - actually, I felt like that all week lol.
But today I feel ok, I always do that...especially when my depression was bad bad....like 18mths ago. It would build up for days and days, then hit real bad for a few days then I'd come good.....its just that now the bad days aren't anywhere near as bad or as long.......
anyway, Naths back with the firewood....
hooroo :)

2 comments:

  1. Well done Laura, your last sentence says it all. You have allowed yourself to use the tools (from your therapy) to cope and not regress. Keep it up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honesty Laura! I can relate all too well! Well done on getting through it all as you have done and for using the stuff you've learned along the way. People who push through depression, face their demons and come out the other side are stronger and more self aware for the experience. Just keep taking care of yourself and doing what you need to do for you!

    ReplyDelete